Mold Facts


Molds are found everywhere in the air, indoors and outdoors. Molds produce spores, which are microscopic seeds, which land on surfaces. If spores land on a dry surface nothing will happen. If they land on a wet surface, they may grow into the mold you can see. When spores exist in large numbers, they can cause asthma, respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and/or immune system issues.

Jackson County Health Department (JCHD) does not usually recommend testing your home for mold. Tests can be very expensive and not useful because there is no standard to measure against mold levels can also go up or down from day to day depending upon weather conditions. We do recommend cleaning up the mold following the directions from Steps for Cleaning Up and correcting any water leakage problem. If a water leakage problem is not fixed, the mold will most likely grow back. You can also contact a mold consultant in your area for help and instruction with this.

JCHD does not execute mold investigations or provide testing services.

For more information on mold please reference the links below





Website Resources: 

 State of Michigan