The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office Explorer Program is designed to give teenagers and young adults hands-on law enforcement experience. The program aims to develop future candidates for law enforcement positions in and around Jackson County.
- Participate in monthly “ride alongs” with sheriff’s deputies;
- Assist in countywide events such as the Jackson County Fair, high school football games, homecoming parades and other local events;
- Receive training in law enforcement functions such as traffic stops, arrest procedures, building searches, etc;
- Attend an annual state competition and compete with other Explorer Posts across the state;
- Attend an annual week-long state academy.
- Must be 15-20 years of age (under 21)
- Must attend high school or have successfully graduated from high school
- Must have a minimum of 2.0 GPA (if in high school)
- Must have a strong interest in law enforcement
- Must have no misdemeanor or felony convictions
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Must be able to attend and graduate from the Michigan Law Enforcement Youth Training Academy (MLEYTA) each summer.
Did you know that an average police academy costs over $10,000 in the State of Michigan? Looking to save some cash? Dedicated members of the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office Explorer Program have the opportunity for full sponsorships and preference in the hiring process at the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office once they reach hiring age.
Interested? Fill out our electronic application on this page or pick up a hard copy in the lobby of the Sheriff’s Office. Once it’s filled out deliver it by:
Preferred method of delivery is by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail or drop off the application at:
Jackson County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Explorer Post
212 W Wesley St.
Jackson, MI 49201
- Application received by the sheriff’s office
- Initial application screening
- Oral board interview
- Background investigation
- Acceptance or denial
Those seeking further information may contact the head program adviser, Sergeant Sam Sukovich by email email@example.com.