Concealed Pistol License
Requirements for New Applicants
Pistol Safety Training Course
All new applicants, and persons with a CPL that has been expired for more than one year, are required to take a pistol safety training course. EXCEPTION: The pistol safety training course requirement is waived for an applicant who is a retired police officer or law enforcement officer as defined in MCL 28.421(1)(o)
The pistol safety training course required under Michigan law must be a program certified by this state, or a national or state firearms training organization, and provide at least eight hours of instruction. The program shall provide at least three hours of instruction on a firing range and require firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition. It is your responsibility to verify that the instructor and class meet the requirements as set forth in Section 5J of 1927, PA 372. If the requirements are not met, you will be required to present a qualifying certification prior to applying. For a list of all requirements, please see pages 4 and 5 of the CPL application.
The original training certificate must be presented when filing the application.
Application and Fees
- The application can be obtained online or at the Jackson County Clerk's Office. Do not sign the application until an oath has been administered by a deputy clerk.
- The application fee is $115. This includes the $15 fingerprinting fee. Cash credit, check or money order payable to the Jackson County Clerk.
- Photos are no longer needed.
Concealed Pistol License Guide and Application
To schedule an appointment to apply for a NEW CPL, please email ClerkVital@mijackson.org or call 517-788-4265
At the time of application, you will be provided a receipt which allows you to be fingerprinted. Fingerprints are taken by the Jackson County Sheriff's Office at 212 W. Wesley Street between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Fingerprints must be taken within 45 days of application, otherwise the application will be withdrawn.
Requirements for Renewal Applicants
(Previous license is not expired, or expired within 1 year period before date of application)
- $115 Application Fee. Cash, credit, check, or money order payable to the Jackson County Clerk
- No fingerprints required
- Applicant must certify to a statement on the application that he/she has completed at least 3 hours of review on the pistol safety training course
- Applicant must certify that he/she has at least one hour of firing range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application.
- A letter containing a Personal Identification Number (PIN) will be mailed to you six months prior to your expiration which will allow you to renew online.
- Renew CPL Online
Requirements for Renewal Applicants
(Previous license expired more than 1 year)
- $115 Application Fee. Cash, credit, check, or money order payable to the Jackson County Clerk. This includes the fingerprinting fee.
- Must present an original training certificate, which complies with Section 5J of 1927, PA 372, to the Clerks Office at the time of submitting the application. The training certificate must be issued within 5 years of application. EXCEPTION: Pistol safety course requirement is waived for an applicant who is retired police officer or a retired law enforcement office as defined in MCL 28.421(1)(o)
CPLs expire on the applicant's date of birth, and are valid for not less than 4 years, but no more than 5 years from date of issuance.
For more information, please visit the
Michigan State Police