Where do I file my claim?
The 12th District Court has jurisdiction over cases in Jackson County only. In order to sue in the 12th District Court, the defendant must live or be established (if a business) in Jackson County or the cause of action (contract, accident or claim) must have happened in Jackson County. It's not enough that the plaintiff lives in Jackson County. If you file in the wrong Court, the case may be transferred to the appropriate court at your expense. This usually means paying another filing fee to the correct court.

Show All Answers

1. What is small claims court?
2. Who may file a claim?
3. Where do I file my claim?
4. Where do I get the papers to file a claim?
5. How much does it cost to file a small claims suit?
6. What if, when considering the costs of filing, you intend to utilize a process server?
7. When will my case be heard and before whom?