Small Claims


 Item or Person
Plaintiff is: Who May File and Appear in Court
Individual Any Adult
Partnership Any Partner or Full-Time Employee
Proprietorship Proprietor or Full-Time Employee
Corporation Any Officer or Full-Time Employee

Points to Remember

  • The court clerks are available to offer you assistance in processing your small claims matter. Court clerks are not attorneys and are forbidden by law to give legal advice.
  • The court can render money judgments but has no power to force someone to do something or to stop doing something.
  • By having your case tried in the small claims division, you give up the following rights.
  • The right to be represented by an attorney;
  • The right to have a jury trial;
  • The right to appeal the final decision of the court.
  • The court does not collect the money for you once you have obtained a judgment.
  • Have your paperwork, including the case number, available when contacting the court.