birth records are filed in the county where the person is born.
Individuals Eligible to Obtain a Birth Record
- Person named on the record
- Parent named on the record. Note: If adopted, only adoptive parents are eligible
- Legal guardian of the person named on the record (Copy of court documented guardianship papers required)
- Legally licensed attorney of subject of the record (Letter on official letterhead required: Must provide state bar number and the name of the person you represent.)
- Heir of the deceased person named on the record. (Request must specify relationship to decedent, decedent's name at time of death, state where death occurred, date of death (year). If not a Michigan death, must provide death certificate.)
- Court of competent jurisdiction (court order required)
- Birth record is at least 100 years old (no photo ID required)
Photo ID Requirement Photo ID is required to request a birth record that is less than 100 years old. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Current driver's license with photo, if unexpired, or expired less than one year and issued within the last five years
- Current state issued photo identification card, unexpired, or expired less than one year and issued within the last five years
- Unexpired U.S. or foreign passport
- U.S. military photo identification or military dependent photo identification, unexpired
- Employment identification with photo, accompanied by a current pay stub or W-2 form
- Department of Corrections photo identification card, accompanied by probation or discharge papers dated within the last year
- If a currently incarcerated prisoner, a Department of Corrections photo identification card, accompanied by a verification of incarceration by the facility on letterhead
- For persons age 15-20, current student photo identification with a report card or transcript
Request in Person
Effective November 1, 2018, cell phones and video recording equipment are no longer permitted in the courthouse.
The Jackson County Clerk's office is located on the first floor of the courthouse. The cost of a certified birth record is $15 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record. Certified birth certificates for ages 65 and older are $7 for the first copy and $3 for each additional copy of the same record. Cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted.
Request by Mail
Send a written request that includes your name, date of birth, parent's names, your signature, and a contact phone number, along with a photo copy of your picture identification. Please also include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return.
The cost of a certified birth record is $15 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record. For individuals 65 and older, a certified copy is $7 for the first copy and $3 for each additional of the same record. You may send a check or money order payable to the Jackson County Clerk's Office.
If you have additional questions, please call 517-788-4265 to speak with a deputy clerk.